Hello, I have completed the entire Goodman One camera build. I am a bit behind with the final postings, but all of the instructions and troubleshooting I went through from start to finish can be found here:
I have maybe 2 posts left to show the final touches and images the camera now takes. I walk around and hand hold it now to shoot.
I have no CAD experience or ability, nor a 3d printer at home, but am happy to work with others to refine the design or give input on what might make it work better or create accessories.
I believe some of the biggest pressing CAD design issues are
1. The joints of the parts need to be inherently more light tight, and not rely on flat surfaces so much.
2. A 3d printed viewfinder (sportsfinder) is really needed to get the camera working where you can hand hold it. I made one out of a harvested lens, but you wouldn't have to rely on everyone doing this if there was a printable sportsfinder.
3. The 120 film back has many design flaws, the biggest being that the film takes turns that are too acute and is not usable as it is. I have developed a way to use it by "reverse-rolling" the film first prior to loading. I talk about this on my website and will upload a video soon showing exactly how I do this. The second issue with the film back is that the dark slide is not light tight and becomes unusable also as a result (hence the need for a sportsfinder). I really think the community designing a usable 3d printed film back is the way to go as opposed to borrowing a 67 back off another system. The 120 back could also use a way to keep the film tight on the spool. I have some ideas on how to solve all of these. The 6x9 images are amazing so I really want to see the fully printed back succeed somehow.
I really feel that as many parts of this camera as possible should be 3d printed and not harvested from other cameras. I believe we can do this and really only need to harvest the Mamiya press lens for the front of the camera.
Here are two of the test images from a recent roll I took with the camera. There is a vertical light leak towards the right of each frame. I have identified where this is coming from (its a joint in the film back near the lid), and have found a way to address it. Final images soon via my blog.
Happy to collaborate with anyone with CAD skills or access to a printer. I don't think it would take much effort to really improve the camera.